Saturday, May 2, 2015

An Open Letter to Nick

Every girl has a best guy friend like Nick at least once in her 20s. He's the guy who is always there for her, loves her unconditionally, supports her, encourages her, appreciates her for the dime she is, and is completely honest with her when no one else has the courage to be. Somehow she disappoints him, pushes him away, and ultimately loses him. This is for all of the under appreciated Nicks of the world...we are sorry we let love get in the way of our friendship. 

Dearest Nick,
I know what you are thinking...why after all of these years am I reaching out to you? Well truth be told, I wish I would have had the courage to reach out to you long ago. I have very few regrets in my life, but one of them is definitely not trusting you more, not heeding your words of advice, and ultimately pushing you away. 
I hope you are well. I'm sure you already know, the bets were there for years, but that relationship you warned me not to return to ended...in an explosion with fire and flames just as you had promised me it would. You were one of the best friends I could have asked for. You realized what a catch I was long before I ever could. 
I know this doesn't mean much now, but you gave me the courage to stand up for myself. You would be so proud what I've accomplished the last few years. I'm no longer hidden in a little shell waiting for someone to bust me out. I'm a firecracker! 
I miss our famous talks about anything and everything, our long drives to the middle of nowhere without a GPS, and our mutual love for the same music while singing at the top of our lungs together. 
I am so sorry things turned out the way they did for us. I'd give anything to turn back the hands of time and do everything a little differently. At least if we had lost touch then I wouldn't feel guilty for choosing a boyfriend over a friend. 
Nick, you are an absolute gem, and anyone would be lucky to have you as their friend. I never got to thank you for all of the support you provided for me during our friendship, all the laughs we shared when the whole room knew I wanted to cry, and the encouraging words you lent when I was a hotmess. It's silly how in life we can let one little disagreement be the deciding factor on a relationship. If only I had known then what I know now. I hope if we ever meet on the streets again, you will greet me with one of those awesome bear hugs. 
Until Next Time, My Long Lost Friend. 

-XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment