Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Houston:Year One

It's official! I survived my first year in H-Town with it's fair share of excitingly hilarious moments of course. {Why do I not have my own TV show yet? Seriously, MTV...I see the crap you air! I'm adorable & comedic...double win!} 

This first year has come with it's fair share of road bumps, pit stops, and detours. But honestly, I could not be more thankful for it. It's caused some major soul searching, caused me to find my footing in my faith once again, major progress in my career path, and a premature quarter life crisis or two. I've been hit on by bums, lost in the Third Ward, broken more traffic laws downtown than I can count, spent a majority of my time in traffic, and been cussed at in more languages than I realized existed. 

If this last year has taught me anything though it would be this:

I am a strong and confident woman who is not nearly as independent as I like to lead on...however I am becoming more and more independent as we speak. After a year of not having friends in the same city as me to do things with, I have found myself at coffee shops, restaurants, going shopping, and the park alone more often than not. A year ago, this would have sent me into an anxiety attack, but now it's slightly empowering and zen. 
I have begun to find myself in my faith again also. After drifting so far from where I once had been as a Christian, I have now made it a daily routine of doing my devotional and spending time with Jesus...just He and I. It's so uplifting and makes my days much easier to deal with. Prayer comes much more naturally and freely then it did a year ago, Christian music doesn't cheesy and corny anymore, and I find strength in scripture. I've always been really open in my walk with Jesus; though I am not where I once was in my walk, I am much further along than I was this time last year.
Depression and Anxiety still come knocking on my door from time to time, but I am not as vulnerable to their charm as I once was. While some sick part of me is still attracted to those condescending assholes and occasionally I let them in to rule my life, I deal with them in much healthier ways then I have in the past. A bottle of wine is not downed on the regular any longer. Long walks in the park, play time with Tarly, and mini pep talks, keep me much more sane and normal feeling then I've felt in a long time. 
Houston drivers can kiss my ass. I thought Temple was bad...I'd take Temple drivers any day over the dirt bags here. That is really all I have to say about that.
You can't live here and not be a foodie. There is some unwritten law here that you MUST be a foodie to live here. And while you will never hear me complain about eating, trying new foods still terrifies me, but I'm getting better.
Bums are scarier then I ever realized from my two trips to Chicago. They will bang on your car for your attention. They will shout crude, repulsive things at you for not carrying cash/change on you. And they are not afraid to ask you out to dinner even when they are in desperate need of a shower and have no money. They are FEARLESS. And I...I am fearful!
God has a mighty plan for my career when He placed it in our hearts to move here last year. If I had stayed in Central Texas, I would still be a lowly GM partner. However I am fresh out of SORM, in a bad ass store that does killer volume, and it's looking like I'll be promoting again before summer arrives. I am so incredibly thankful for this opportunity. 2 years ago, I would have never guessed I would be planning to work for HEB forever, but I am hella proud to be working for this kick ass company. HOW LUCKY AM I?!

And lastly I learned that happiness is completely relative, but finding joy is the truth gift in life. I am joyful daily, however there are days that I much choose happiness over being a crazy bitch {which we are all aware that crazy bitch comes naturally for me}. This last year has been incredible and stressful but one of the best so far. We are quickly approaching 2016 and year 25 for me, and I have the best feeling in the world that it's going to be my best year yet. Lots of exciting things coming in my second year in this mess of a city.

-XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment